North Country Herbs Annual Survey of Why Gardeners Garden
• It’s You verses the Weather, a competitive carry-over sport that you can play from your 30s until your 90s – and your edge improves with age.
• You are guaranteed to get the benefits of the minimum amount of aerobic exercise required to be able to tell your doctor that you are not a couch potato.
• You can get a tan without going to the beach and wearing a bathing suit (although, you can garden in a bikini if you wish).
• You are closer to nature and can pretend to be a farmer without owning a farm or doing really hard farmer work.
• Gardening is an acceptable subject for conversation at meetings — you will not need to know the latest sports scores and will avoid speaking about religion and politics, never a good idea.
• You can watch reruns of gardening shows which provide a legitimate excuse for getting back on the couch with the remote.